Our accounting services are right for you if you have the in-house capacity to do your own bookkeeping. Much of bookkeeping is basic data entry, and it’s more cost-effective for your org to handle this in house. That allows us to focus on higher-level services: we work with you to develop or improve your systems, train your team on the day-to-day bookkeeping, and provide monthly reconciliation, review, and reporting for your financial activity. We specialize in working with complex nonprofits, including multiple entities (affiliated 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and/or PACs), organizations with fiscal sponsor / sponsee relationships, and those that receive government grant and contract funding.
Some of our most commonly provided services include:
- Grant and Contract Tracking—Reimbursable/billable grant and contract invoicing for government or foundation grants and spenddown tracking for grant funds received up front.
- Reporting—Customized financial reporting for executive teams, boards of directors, and/or grant/contract reporting. Our customized templates include solutions for complex reporting needs related to multiple entities, fiscal sponsorships, budgeting, and cash flow.
- Monthly Adjustments
- Application of cost allocations based on staff time and effort.
- Cross-entity expense allocations with related entities and fiscal sponsorship arrangements.
- Monthly adjustments to track grant spending.
- Periodic adjustments to ensure our accrual basis clients are adhering to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Audit Assistance—We can work with you or directly with your auditor to provide support through the entire audit process.
- Consulting—We are often available to provide consulting support for our accounting clients. Learn more about our consulting offerings.
We love sharing information. We know that our skills and experience help organizations optimize existing systems, handle growth, and navigate new complexities.
Because every person has a different relationship to systems of finance, we want to hear about the kinds of services that make sense for you. Examples of our most often used consulting services are:
- Accounting System Design—An organized accounting system enables you to monitor cash flow and budget goals, allocate expenses across programs or entities, report activity to grant funders, prepare for your audit, file your taxes, and provide valuable information for strategic planning.
- Internal Control Development—Internal controls can be difficult to set up in a small organization, but strong controls and policies can reduce the risk for error and fraud.
- Policy and Procedure Development—Effective policies and procedures can increase your capacity, reduce confusion, and help facilitate smooth employee transitions.
- Employee Handbooks—We provide handbook reviews and drafting, helping you to develop sound policies that are in line with your values.
- Fiscal Sponsorships—We can work with you and your legal team to establish agreements, structures, and procedures relating to fiscal sponsorship agreements and cost sharing.
- Payroll—We can help you navigate 3rd party payroll providers, including choosing a provider and software setup. We additionally consult on how to deal with payroll tax notices, garnishments, severance pay, out of state employees, and other common payroll complications.
- Public Disclosure Commission Compliance—PDC reporting and compliance is important to get right. We can help you navigate the complexities of these rules and develop systems to support you with your filings.
- Growth and Administrative Capacity Management—Don’t underestimate the need to grow your administrative and finance capacity needs as the organization grows. We can advise on hiring strategies and support your hiring process.
- Whatever you need—Just ask us and maybe we can help!
In an industry that gatekeeps specialized knowledge, we believe in making that knowledge accessible and sharing the language that opens doors, grant coffers, and pathways to wealth for those who have been excluded. We offer training in a variety of topic areas and formats. No matter the audience, we are committed to helping you work better.
We are offering discounted solidarity pricing. Please contact us or fill out a solidarity application if you’re interested. If you are an ongoing monthly accounting client, please contact us to redeem three free trainings each year.
All trainings are also offered as one on one or private group sessions—contact us if you’re interested.
Whether you need help with tax strategies and planning, or simply filing your tax return, we can help. We work remotely, primarily over email, and use secure file transfer systems to handle your sensitive information. Most returns will be filed electronically on your behalf.
Our expertise includes:
Nonprofits (990 & 990-EZ Filers)
- Political activity and lobbying
- Related entities
- Public charity test
- Required disclosures
Individuals (1040 Filers):
- Children and college
- Capital gains
- Other deductions & credits
- Estimated tax planning
Small Businesses (Schedule C and 1120-S Filers)
- Entity selection
- S-Corp payroll
- Estimated tax planning
- New tax legislation
- IRS correspondence and notice response